Live in Color
Like people, plants need lots of water to grow and stay healthy. Plants drink water through their roots and stems. Tall plants like trees have to pull their water up more than 100 feet to reach the very top of them. It’s amazing just how quickly the water flows too- reaching speeds of 45m (150 ft) per hour in some trees. To see how plants drink the water up, follow these easy instructions and watch the water and colour flow! You can also try this activity to change the color of white flowers – cool!
What you’ll need:
- Sharp knife (ask and adult for help)
- Fresh carrot with leaves, celery stalk with leaves, white tulip or carnation
- 3 glasses of water
- Food coloring (red or blue work well)
- Make your own colored bouquets by using white flowers and placing them in a vase of colored water. The flower will absorb the coloring from the water and change colours!
- Be sure to keep the leaves on the carrot or celery because they help suck the water up the plant.